Fuel Tank/Toolbox

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Hirschy41
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kingsburg
State: CA

Fuel Tank/Toolbox

Post by Hirschy41 »

I am thinking of moving the fuel tank out of the cab of my '66 CC and going with a combo toolbox/fuel tank in the bed. This way I do not have to move the spare tire from under the bed. Has anyone gone this route? If so, how do you like it? Also, where did you find this type of fuel tank? thanks.

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Re: Fuel Tank/Toolbox

Post by Jim100 »

Northern Tool or Tractor supply but I would be careful with the DOT part of it. Especially in CA. Some tanks are approved and some are not.

Hirschy41
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hirschy41 »

Jim100 wrote:Northern Tool or Tractor supply but I would be careful with the DOT part of it. Especially in CA. Some tanks are approved and some are not.
Thanks for the heads up.

MrMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lompoc

Post by MrMopar »

Jim100 wrote:Northern Tool or Tractor supply but I would be careful with the DOT part of it. Especially in CA. Some tanks are approved and some are not.
Other than reassurance and comfort with the part DOT/CHP will never know. We don’t get safety inspections here on personal pickup trucks. I don’t see an issue here but that is my opinion. Best ask someone who knows.

Alan

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Parker
State: CO

Post by 40YearOldFury »

I wanted to add more capacity and keep my spare so I put a lifestyle era tank inside my frame rail. You can't see it unless your looking for it either and it's 30 gallons. I read someone's conversion on here and decided that was the way I wanted to do it. The tank was pretty cheap at the junkyard. Here is where I got the idea:
http://demulsion.wordpress.com/2010/01/ ... tank-swap/
This is what I did on mine:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=25321&start=80
and
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30019

Hirschy41
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hirschy41 »

40YearOldFury wrote:I wanted to add more capacity and keep my spare so I put a lifestyle era tank inside my frame rail. You can't see it unless your looking for it either and it's 30 gallons. I read someone's conversion on here and decided that was the way I wanted to do it. The tank was pretty cheap at the junkyard. Here is where I got the idea:
http://demulsion.wordpress.com/2010/01/ ... tank-swap/
This is what I did on mine:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=25321&start=80
and
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30019

I really would rather go this route as well, but my CrewCab framework underneath doesnt seem to allow for a tank to be installed the same way as a non Crew.

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 40YearOldFury »

[/quote]

I really would rather go this route as well, but my CrewCab framework underneath doesnt seem to allow for a tank to be installed the same way as a non Crew.[/quote]
I am pretty sure the frame and cross members are the same in both Crew and Standard cabs. Only thing that might be an issue is if it was a short wheel base. It does not look like it will fit but pretty sure it will. Do you have any pictures under your Crew on the driver's side...from the firewall back to the rear axle?

Hirschy41
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hirschy41 »

I hope this pic 1) shows up and 2) helps you see what i am seeing (or was when i was working on this). I thought i had a few more pics, and will post them if i can find them.
Attachments
my 66 CC Underbody.jpg
my 66 CC Underbody.jpg (24.64 KiB) Viewed 733 times

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 40YearOldFury »

Mine has a crossmember at the end of the transmission and the tank fits between the crossmember and the truck floor. Or is that the driveshaft hanger bearing?

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Use a Ranger tank inside the frame rail. Convert it from EFI style to old style fuel pickup and sender. Poly tank, roughly 18 gallons or so.