When a sledge hammer fails... im lost

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
66sportfury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: spokane valley
State: WA

When a sledge hammer fails... im lost

Post by 66sportfury »

Okay when i first got my truck i had to examine it for rust and dents like usual. But to make a long story short, it came down to this i figured since its :usa built it might be a little stronger to wack the dent out...

So i got Thor out "my sledge hammer :lol: " and started wacking the holy :moom out of it. After about 10 minutes and it coming out about 1 inch i figured that my "new school techniques just weren't working."
Know i no what your thinking, something probably like :withstupid only reason i didnt use a torch is cause i dont have one!

Any suggestion's, thoughts, complaints, and all the rest of them?
Attachments
these are both after beating it!
these are both after beating it!
IMG03004.jpg

daytb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bucklin
State: KS

Re: When a sledge hammer fails... im lost

Post by daytb »

have a port-a-power? apply some pressure then run around the outside with a body hammer

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

You're "reading" the dent wrong. I would suggest working on the creases in the direction of the dent. Once you level them out you could then flatten out the dent. Do you have a steel dolly?

Ben

66sportfury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66sportfury »

um... im kinda tool stupid, any pics of them i have body tools, and sledge hammers, and a welder umm and cutting tools?

And if a sledge was barley getting it out what else besides a torch would? and im not using the kind of tool where you drill in to it and use like a slide hammer! some idiot did that on my fury fender and theres like 35 holes

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

66sportfury wrote:um... im kinda tool stupid, any pics of them i have body tools, and sledge hammers, and a welder umm and cutting tools?

And if a sledge was barley getting it out what else besides a torch would? and im not using the kind of tool where you drill in to it and use like a slide hammer! some idiot did that on my fury fender and theres like 35 holes
I'd suggest removing the fender to start with.
Then re-read Ben's post on working the dent
from the crease. I'm sure someone can post
up a picture of a dolly for you. They're a nice
tool to have.
John

beastman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: La Center

Post by beastman »

i have a home made slide hammer. i tac on some nuts on the dent. then the slide part is some all thread. i screw it on, tighten a nut on it and away i go. just thinkin you could do that instead of drilling.

66sportfury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66sportfury »

This is what i had to deal with when the last idiot used the screw method! and Tons of bondo :banghead
"I'm not calling you an idiot dont get me wrong"
Attachments
These? i have a set of these.
These? i have a set of these.
MT-TOOLS_R.jpg (13.24 KiB) Viewed 746 times
re22.JPG
100_0868.jpg

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

I'd be pulling that fender and hitting the boneyard. At one point there were a few yards in the valley that had a ton of old trucks. 20 years ago we got a 67 D-300 front axle and swapped it into my cousin's 64 F-250. Not the best fit in the world but with some copper pipe sleeves in the axle eyes we fit the Ford spindles onto it.

Your fender is fixable, but if you can find a straight replacement you'll save a ton of time and frustration. Without heat, you're just going to make it worse, the metal is going to stretch beating the dent out.

66sportfury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66sportfury »

Are you tlkin a replacement for my fury fender cause if so that made me :lol:
And for the truck I'm wanting to go sell it so i could get a 70 powerwagon! and i dont have much time left, only problem is that i dont have a trailer or a license just a permit. And he lives like 60 miles away.

i was just wanting to get some dings and holes out :lol: if i try to sell it. all tell the person ohh yeah it runs just start going downhill and let the clutch out. HAHAHA i don't have an alternator.

and if i take it off i would have to cement it to the ground cause that's the toughest metal Ive ever tried to undent! my fury was moderate compared to it! that's why after 72 there all bad.

i remember my moms xbf had a big crappy Chevy and made the mistake of letting my mom drive it, she just had to turn it around at the gas station.... well lets just say she ended up with a crunched bed and stuck on the gas station pole! :clap

He was able to bend it back with his hand! "that's be my mom before she wrecked the bed" i thought it was funny
Attachments
IMG00963.jpg

66sportfury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66sportfury »

hey "wd" why does your join date say 1969? lol

Campinfool
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wisconsin Rapids
State: WI

Post by Campinfool »

Lots of ways to go here, If you should decide to remove the fender, place it in soft sand, this will help keep the stretching down a bit and act as a dolly. Good luck.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Join date has been the same since I joined up a few years back. Kinda funny, I was hatched in 1972. :lol:

Call Pick and Pull in Lakewood Wa. They sometimes have Furies in the parts yard. So do several other yards on the west side.

70PW100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Spokane

Post by 70PW100 »

@66sportfury

I'm in Spokane and have a nice 70 powerwagon. Not currently up for sale but would consider selling it if your other one falls through, let me know.

66sportfury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66sportfury »

O_O Thats kinda weird cause i'm trying to see if i could buy this one from sandpoint its 500 4x4 but front half is ugly "i dont care though." its also a 70 with a 318 to

68dually
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: turbotville
State: PA

Post by 68dually »

do not use a torch, the heat will expand the metal so much your fender will warp and you'll have to use alot of body filler or shrink the metal which is a job only for a pro. the slide hammer is the best idea. drill holes by the crease and pull that out. once you have the crease flatened some then your big dent can be hammered out to meet it. the fender metal is already stretched because of the crease so the holes you drill will actually give the metal somewere to go when you dolly it. then tack your holes shut, grind , paint and fill and you'll have a good fix. you don't have to drill holes like on your fury fender, that guy must have just really liked using his new drill or something. just a few holes in the worst places will do you fine. Randal

SparkyRidesAgain
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Corona
State: CA

Post by SparkyRidesAgain »

Might I suggest a stud welder.
This is a spendy one, but if you are only gonna use it once or twice Harbor Freight tools sells a cheapie version for about 99 bucks.

http://www.eastwood.com/stud-welder-den ... ystem.html

Same isea as drilling holes and slidehammering, but without the holes.

Just a thought.
Sparky

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

"some idiot did that on my fury fender and theres like 35 holes"

The person who did it might have been a idiot, I don't know, but what you see is the way it was done before stud welders became common. The holes were punched with a sharp point punch, not drilled, and they had to be close together. Then you worked it very slowly using each hole. It took patience to do it correctly. Then you ground the whole area with coarse paper and put the filler on. The holes helped hold the filler. It appears that whoever did your fender didn't finish the job.
I think Ben has given the correct advice for straightening your truck fender. You can get a whole set of hammers and dollies at Harbor freight cheap. Not professional grade but good enough for home use.