My Project-New Direction

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

My Project-New Direction

Post by soopernaut »

I got some pictures of what I've been through. I still have a lot more ahead of me. There is a crossmember holding the front of the bed up. When I cut it out I'll have to see how it looks.

Edit-Now it is getting a frame splice.
Attachments
R1-10A.jpg
R1-00A.jpg
R1- 0A.jpg
R1- 1A.jpg
R1- 2A.jpg
R1- 3A.jpg
R1- 4A.jpg
R1- 5A.jpg
R1- 9A.jpg
Last edited by soopernaut on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

65junkie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pipe Creek
State: TX

Re: My Project

Post by 65junkie »

looks like you got alot of work ahead of you. Good luck!!!
Tyler C.
64 d-100 utiline
(2)73 dodge club cab aventurer's
69 charger
01 dodge 2500 4x4 diesel

wedgehead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: il

Post by wedgehead »

I have seen these pics. before, NO my mistake that was my garage 2 yrs. ago. :lol: Just remember know matter how much blood, sleep and hair you lose don't give up. :shame It feels great when they are done. Sorry I haven't been paying attention , what frame are you using ?

Good Luck Ernie

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

I didnt think I'd ever see that topper off. :lol:

Looks good.
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5speed
1971 Dodge Challenger #'s 383/727
1974 Dodge D600 318 5+2
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins HO

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

wedgehead wrote: Sorry I haven't been paying attention , what frame are you using ?
It is from a 1977 D150.
steven wrote:I didnt think I'd ever see that topper off. :lol:
I ended up breaking it into pieces and filling my garbage can for a few weeks.

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

since you had the cab off, I would have just stubbed the newer frame right under the floor, they are the same width there. You would be done by now.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

That one picture looks like you removed the topper with a bomb! :lol:

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Cageman wrote:since you had the cab off, I would have just stubbed the newer frame right under the floor, they are the same width there. You would be done by now.
I don't have the experience or the equipment to do the frame splice but I just traded the engine/transmission out of the 77 to a local street rod builder. In exchange he is going to splice the 2 frames together. I have to move the bed back over to the old frame and bolt it on. Both frames are going to be transported to his house. Not only is he going to cut and splice the frames he is also going to build cab and radiator support mounts and mount the entire body. I think I got a heck of a deal for an engine that I was asking $200 for.

He wanted the engine for a 37 Dodge truck he is going to build and sell. The guy I bought the 77 from was the one who put me in touch with this guy.
digdoug wrote:That one picture looks like you removed the topper with a bomb! :lol:
Well nothing that dramatic. I had all the mounting bolts out and I wanted to see how heavy it was. I lifted one corner and it slid over a little. When it came down it missed the bed rail and one side fell into the bed. The part that is broken in the picture fell on the front of the bed. The lower wood was rotted out anyway so I decided to tear it apart and throw it out. I started taking it apart and eventually flipped it out of the bed where it appears in the picture.

ufo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Manitoba
State: Foreign

Re: My Project-New Direction

Post by ufo »

While that is being done,it free's you up to get some of other pcs ready to go back on. :Thumbsup

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Cageman »

Sweet, cant beat a deal like that, amke sure the guy eats good and has a gift of refreshments from time to time to thank him.
I cut the front cab mount of and reused it on the new stub, and the rad support all I had to do was weld a plate on and drill a hole as the new stub is a bit narrower, about an inch and a half maybe. My diesel is this way too, but I stubbed it in the area where the frame bends, that was hard, but I wanted to keep the z bar in tack. Now with the cummins that isnt needed, oh well, it is plenty strong, but I was maybe 20 when I did that, and it is still going strong. The one I did under the frame was so easy I was done in one night. I then tried to start the slant six that came with the front stub and it had a cracked cylinder wall and I moved on to another project, I still have yet to find a good running slant to put in, and I already have enough v/8 trucks, I want a slant.

It is just sitting behind my shop now, but I only have a picture from back when I lived in SD.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

soopernaut wrote: I don't have the experience or the equipment to do the frame splice but I just traded the engine/transmission out of the 77 to a local street rod builder. In exchange he is going to splice the 2 frames together. I have to move the bed back over to the old frame and bolt it on. Both frames are going to be transported to his house. Not only is he going to cut and splice the frames he is also going to build cab and radiator support mounts and mount the entire body. I think I got a heck of a deal for an engine that I was asking $200 for.
He wanted the engine for a 37 Dodge truck he is going to build and sell. The guy I bought the 77 from was the one who put me in touch with this guy.
That's good news! Getting over a hurdle like that will give you new energy. :Thumbsup
John

jeffz
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Mesa
State: AZ

Post by jeffz »

Glad to hear you're getting some help, and at a great price to boot! It'll be great when your chassis comes rolling back to you.
5 months or so since you were out here, can you believe I'm still scraping gunk off my frame? I really gotta get going now that the weather is cooling off.. sorta.
Happy 4U
Jeff
66 D100 Utiline (Sold)
67 D200 Camper Special (Sold)

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Well I got the truck back last Wednesday and it is now stored in my garage for the Winter. We got snow Yesterday and possibly a foot more on Tuesday and Wednesday so Winter is here to stay.

I like how it turned out except the front cab mounts. He bolted the front of the floor directly into the top of the frame. I told him to save the frame mounts so he thought I was going to use them when I fixed the floor but he had originally said he was going to make a custom mount for the front. I'll have to figure out if I want to keep it the way it is or redo the front mounts.

The rest of it turned out good. The quality of the welds look like they were done by a machine. He also had to notch the bottom part of the radiator support but it isn't too far up and won't show with the bumper in place. Everthing lines up well.

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Cageman »

Hmm, I didnt have to notch either of my rad supports, I wonder why he did that.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Cageman wrote:Hmm, I didnt have to notch either of my rad supports, I wonder why he did that.
It obviously needed doing on my truck. The frame rails go through the notch. Maybe my cab sits lower. :thinking

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Cageman »

you say the cab sits on the frame, so I suppose the rad support would have to be notched then. How is the gap between the cab and box? Does it get wider at the top of the box?

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Hey Soop, are you saying that the cab essentially sits on top of the frame without any spacers or rubber under the mounts? just curious. Give us some pics man!! :study

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Bill,
I don't know if you looked at Mark DuVerger's project yet so here's a link.
http://www.marksmopars.net
Look at the "Project 69" album. He grafted a '92 front end onto his frame.
Take a look at the bodywork section too..... he did a lot of nice floor
work on his cab. As you said your floors were a bit crusty.... I thought
the link might be of assistance. I've been to Mark's a couple of times.
He does EXCELLENT work. :Thumbsup
John

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

The rear cab mounts are the original ones and I don't believe they were even moved. I'll have to check for sure. The front of the cab is bolted through the frame and the original mounts are not in place. There are 2 pieces of belting between the cab and the frame on each side. I didn't notice the gap between the bed and cab getting wider at the top but I'll have to recheck. If it does it is not noticeable. I have no camera so I can't post any pictures. I plan on taking the truck apart again and painting the frame, the bottom of the cab and bed so maybe I'll get a digital camera before then. It will be after the 16 inches of snow melts so probably April or May.

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Cageman »

Did you see On the Mark guy's website that the truck he was swapping stubs had a transfer case mount on it, but it was a two wheel drive, weird.
That is the easiest way to swap, just take the cab off, I did my first one with the cab on and it was a pain. I also grafted it where the frame bends on that one, the other one I did was under the cab and it was so easy, every thing lines up. I have measured up 94 and up frames and they too will line up under the cab and the wheel to motor placement is in the exact same spot too. So a 94 and up front frame will swap easy too.