righty loosie?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
mtolivecracker
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Central NJ
State: NJ

righty loosie?

Post by mtolivecracker »

went to take off wheels yesterday, and snapped 2 studs clean off because my whole drivers side was the opposite of normal to loosen/tighten.

i thought they were just seized up and not touched in forever. i was liquid wrenching/blow torching... until i started going back and forth and realized righty went easy and then loose. :thinking

the only time ive seen this is on a saw or something.

is this normal? the ultimate wheel locks? haha, or did someone mess up a hug/stud job?

also, going to need 2 new studs!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: righty loosie?

Post by Hobcobble »

mtolivecracker wrote:went to take off wheels yesterday, and snapped 2 studs clean off because my whole drivers side was the opposite of normal to loosen/tighten.

i thought they were just seized up and not touched in forever. i was liquid wrenching/blow torching... until i started going back and forth and realized righty went easy and then loose. :thinking

the only time ive seen this is on a saw or something.

is this normal? the ultimate wheel locks? haha, or did someone mess up a hug/stud job?

also, going to need 2 new studs!
Left side = Left hand threaded studs :Thumbsup
John

MrMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lompoc
State: CA

Post by MrMopar »

All Chrysler products in the 60's, I don't know when they started it or when they ended it but you can pretty much guarantee the 60's were lefts and rights.
My 1970 truck is so they went to at least that.

Alan

behindthebadge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ozark
State: AR

Post by behindthebadge »

I have always heard that Chrysler did this as a safety thing... in other words, the rotation of the wheel in motion would not tend to loosen the lug nuts if the ones on the left were left hand thread. The ends of the studs should be stamped with a "L". They did this on trucks (and on cars too, I think) in the 60's - not sure what year they stopped doing this.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

My 71 W200 I used to own had left hand.

mousecat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Modesto

Post by mousecat »

I did the same thing on my 61 when I first got it, spent two days trying to get those dang lug nuts off.
Kept telling myself to work out more!!! Couldn't figure it out for anything, then jumpped on this site, did a little reading, saw a thread on the left hand lugs, thought, no way could it really be that easy?
Went out to the truck, twisted the wrench the wrong way, and took them righ off!

Still haven't gotten used to it, I think when I do the disc brake change, I;ll swap the studs out as well, just so I don't confuse myself down the road!!!

:lol:

mtolivecracker
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Central NJ
State: NJ

Post by mtolivecracker »

mousecat wrote:I did the same thing on my 61 when I first got it, spent two days trying to get those dang lug nuts off.
Kept telling myself to work out more!!! Couldn't figure it out for anything, then jumpped on this site, did a little reading, saw a thread on the left hand lugs, thought, no way could it really be that easy?
Went out to the truck, twisted the wrench the wrong way, and took them righ off!

Still haven't gotten used to it, I think when I do the disc brake change, I;ll swap the studs out as well, just so I don't confuse myself down the road!!!

:lol:
yes, i am not a fan either. might do the same.

dodgeman02
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: capitan
State: NM

Post by dodgeman02 »

Lol. I think alot of ppl have done this before. I did it as well to one then started thinking. Dodge has done some strange things I wonder if its a reverse lug and yap sure thing. But yes it is very frustrating when u break one before u do research

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Just remember lefty-tighty,righty-loosey.....or was that..... :thinking . :lol: :joker

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Every so often someone will post here about the trouble they had removing the lug nuts or some shop busted the lug studs. I always get a kick out of it.

I knew about them before I ever attemped to remove any lugnuts but my 70 was converted to standard thread studs already already. My 68 had little Ls on the end of the studs.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

My 1975 W600 even has the left-hand threads on the left side. So does my 66 W500.

bucky

BigG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Galt

Post by BigG »

Just changed the studs on the rear to right hand thread, now I am looking for two right drums/ hubs for the front. Can anyone help? BigG

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

My 70 D500 also has the dreaded lefty's.

mousecat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mousecat »

BigG wrote:Just changed the studs on the rear to right hand thread, now I am looking for two right drums/ hubs for the front. Can anyone help? BigG

What year truck are you working on?

I've got a 63 parts donator in my back yard, and I'm just a couple miles down the freeway from ya?

BigG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Galt

Post by BigG »

My truck is a 66 with a 1970 front axle BigG

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Parker
State: CO

Post by 40YearOldFury »

I thought the big commercial tractor trailers and stuff were still using the centrifugal force keeping the lugnuts tight theory. I know that is where the concept originated...well that and the single center lug European cars.

mousecat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mousecat »

BigG wrote:My truck is a 66 with a 1970 front axle BigG

Not sure how compatable mine will be, but concidering you're not that far away, you are welcome to stop by and look it over.

I've got about about 3 more things to take off the donor, then I'll be offering it up to any takers so I can make my wife happy..... :censored I mean, get my back yard cleaned out!!! :joker

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

I've had '71 vehicles that had all RH or a LH/RH combo, but the '72 vehicles were all RH from the factory.

It helps a LOT if you look at the end of the stud, as it will have an "R" or an "L" on it. That is your dead giveaway.

Chrysler products had the LH/RH threads going back to the mid-1930s, BTW. Chrysler products had lug bolts up through 1954, rather than nuts.

Chrysler was not the only manufacturer to do this. Packard and Studebaker did. GM even did this, on the '61 - '63 Tempest, Skylark, and Cutlass...

...As an aside, if you have an old A-body Mopar with the 4" bolt pattern, the same '61 - '63 cars mentioned have the same wheel bolt pattern and the same size register (center) hole as the Mopar wheel does!

swept360
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Langley, BC

Post by swept360 »

on my 68 d100 the front drum was leftys
after striping them out and loosing a wheel i bought .5 splined lugs from princess auto in the trailer section. a little reeming & had them pressed in and seem to do the job.
apperantly the short bolts that where in it where european what a joke.
read in the post talk of a front end swap/ disc brake conversion, ive been looking at a fatboy conversion.
they have one for my truck a 68 1/2 ton. ive heard excellent reviews. heres a link : http://www.fatmanfabrications.co/produc ... ts-stages/

its a 64 1/2" full big disc brake conversion with stainless control arms and coil over as well as theres a power steering upgrade.
not the cheapest although.
good luck with the truck.

swept360
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Langley, BC

Post by swept360 »

Last edited by swept360 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.