King pins: 2 questions

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
robedney
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Francisco
State: CA

King pins: 2 questions

Post by robedney »

Hi All,

Searched the forum but couldn't find the answers :( First of all, on a 1966 Camper Special (3/4 ton) what is the appropriate way to check for king pin play? Jack it up and shove a bar under the tire???? How much play is OK? Where do you measure it?

Secondly, I've heard that some king pins need to be reamed when serviced and some don't. If I tackle this I need to know if a trip to the machine shop is going to be necessary.

Thanks!

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Re: King pins: 2 questions

Post by WD »

If they've never been changed a machine shop would be a good idea. My 69 D100 had it's stock pins and bushings, took a torch, hammer and 20 ton hydraulic press to get them to budge.

Checking play is easy. Jack up the corner, try to rock the wheel assembly. If you find play, rest the wheel bearing and repeat. If it is still sloppy it likely needs a pin swap.

Metal bushings may need a slight reaming. Spindle/axle eyes may need a slight reaming. More likely they'll just need a light honing, brake cylinder hone works fine. You want them to basically just "tap" in place.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Get ball bearings if steering is an issue. I got the original washer bearings and I plan on getting an extra set to swap bearings to help ease steering.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Just to further explain, when your wheel is off the ground, put on hand on top of the tire, and the other hand on the bottom, this is the way to find the play in the just the kingpins, their shouldn't be any movement, how ever, small amount of play, could be the result of the missing tension bolt in the front of the axle, so be sure its there.

---

rd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: chico ca

Post by rd200 »

I replaced mine about two years ago on my 65 D-100 The king pins came out fairly easy using lots of PB Blaster and a brass drift. I purchased the bearing type set. Wth not much mechanical ability I was able to
do it my self... Orderd the king pin set thu Napa I did have a machine shop ream out and set the brass bushings... Total job plus parts was about $180 A local shop wanted to charge e $600 plus.

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

:goodpost Jim