rear main sel

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Johninky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: elkton
State: KY

rear main sel

Post by Johninky »

1966 318A has started leaking oil from seemingly everywhere. Engine currently has the rope style rear main seal and wondering if the newer style seal can be used?

JTD
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Waco
State: TX

Re: rear main sel

Post by JTD »

Johninky wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:41 pm
has started leaking oil from seemingly everywhere.
I'm new to these old Dodges.
If the oil leaks are suddenly new, check the PCV System, if it has one. Make sure it is not stopped up.
Johninky wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:41 pm
Engine currently has the rope style rear main seal and wondering if the newer style seal can be used?
I don't know if there is a newer two piece rubber seal replacement. Rope seals worked well, for Decades. Dodge used them on some engines up into the 80's. They also don't wear the sealing surface on the crankshaft.

Jon

Johninky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Johninky »

Problem with the rope seal is the crankshaft apparently needs out to properly install. Not something I will do. Will check the PCV. Found a source for the newer style seal. Need to clean engine and try to pinpoint the massive oil leak before buying any parts. Seems to be coming from the right front. Leaf springs on that side of the truck are saturated.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Johninky wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:56 pm
Seems to be coming from the right front. Leaf springs on that side of the truck are saturated.
Are you still running the canister style oil filter or a one piece? I'd be looking in that
area for starters. :2cents

John

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

If it is the rope seal, you can replace it with a newer style. Make sure the flat edge is against the oil flow (seal is directional)

You can pull the rear cap and slide the old seal out, and new seal in. No special tools. :salut

Johninky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Johninky »

Are you still running the canister style oil filter or a one piece? I'd be looking in that
area for starters. :2cents

No. Got away from that mess like 20 years ago.

Have ordered all the seals/gaskets/and rear main seal. Just have to now find the motivation the dive into it.

Johninky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Johninky »

Only just changed out the front seal and assorted gaskets. Engine side of the flywheel was dry so didn't touch the rear main seal. Used the truck this morning and could detect no oil leaks Life is good.