chattering clutch

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: uniontown
State: OH

chattering clutch

Post by 68fish »

bad news. I replaced my clutch disc and resurfaced the fly wheel becuase my rear oil seal was leaking and old disc was oil soaked. After putting the rebuilt disc in STILL get bad clutch chatter, grab, when I take off. I did not replace the pressure plate or throwout bearing. these only had about 5000 miles on them, I only replaced the disc thinking a new disc would stop the chatter.
Do I need to drop the tranny and start over with new everything???? People have told me that they have had same prob. with rebuilt discs. Think its the rebuilt disc? Should I have put in a new pressure plate also??? Anything else I can look for as the culprut for clutch chatter. Its pretty bad. Whole front end shakes when I take off.

Fish

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: chattering clutch

Post by Hobcobble »

68fish wrote:bad news. I replaced my clutch disc and resurfaced the fly wheel becuase my rear oil seal was leaking and old disc was oil soaked. After putting the rebuilt disc in STILL get bad clutch chatter, grab, when I take off. I did not replace the pressure plate or throwout bearing. these only had about 5000 miles on them, I only replaced the disc thinking a new disc would stop the chatter.
Do I need to drop the tranny and start over with new everything???? People have told me that they have had same prob. with rebuilt discs. Think its the rebuilt disc? Should I have put in a new pressure plate also??? Anything else I can look for as the culprut for clutch chatter. Its pretty bad. Whole front end shakes when I take off.

Fish
You might want to remove the inspection cover and look up into the
pressure plate to see if any of the springs shifted or failed in any
way. :2cents I wouldn't think you'd have to go in with a new pressure
plate and throw out bearing that only had 5000 miles on them.... unless
your kid was out doing hole-shots with it... :lol:
John

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

What year?

Are we talking gear grinding?

68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: uniontown
State: OH

Post by 68fish »

1965 NP 435 tranny, 1977 360, No gear grinding. Shifts OK driving, just major chatter when taking off. Im just going to bight the bullet and order a new disc (not rebuilt) new pressure plate new throwout bearing, and put it all in one more time.

Fish

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

But what year truck?

My hydraulic system needed a new slave cylinder and that fixed my grinding...... 61-68? or 69-71?

65?

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

I believe Ron is working on his early '65 D100. :Thumbsup

Is your 360 of the vintage that would require a balanced
flywheel? I'm just curious as to which flywheel you're running.
John

Ryno
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 46706
State: IN

Post by Ryno »

68fish wrote:bad news. I replaced my clutch disc and resurfaced the fly wheel becuase my rear oil seal was leaking and old disc was oil soaked. After putting the rebuilt disc in STILL get bad clutch chatter, grab, when I take off. I did not replace the pressure plate or throwout bearing. these only had about 5000 miles on them, I only replaced the disc thinking a new disc would stop the chatter.

Fish
What are you calling chatter? Are you talking noise or vibration? Do you get feedback (pulsation) from the clutch pedal too?

Ryno

thedodgeman69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: reno
State: NV

Post by thedodgeman69 »

I just put a new clutch pack in my 69 w200. It also has a 360 in it and it now shudders when taking off. It feels like when you try and take off fast in reverse and the truck starts hopping. That's the best example I can compare it to.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

thedodgeman69 wrote:I just put a new clutch pack in my 69 w200. It also has a 360 in it and it now shudders when taking off. It feels like when you try and take off fast in reverse and the truck starts hopping. That's the best example I can compare it to.
What flywheel are you using in your truck?
John

thedodgeman69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by thedodgeman69 »

Ryno
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Ryno »

thedodgeman69 wrote:I just put a new clutch pack in my 69 w200. It also has a 360 in it and it now shudders when taking off. It feels like when you try and take off fast in reverse and the truck starts hopping. That's the best example I can compare it to.
What type of clutch linings did you select?

Can you creap the vehicle around (continually slipping the clutch without fully engaging) and the shudder goes on non stop?

thedodgeman69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by thedodgeman69 »

I'm not sure what brand of clutch it is. My friend bought it several years a go for his road runner and decided he wanted a different clutch. It probly came from napa or another local parts store. I tryed slipping the clutch and it doesn't chatter. Only when I take off from a stop.

Ryno
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Ryno »

thedodgeman69 wrote:I'm not sure what brand of clutch it is. My friend bought it several years a go for his road runner and decided he wanted a different clutch. It probly came from napa or another local parts store. I tryed slipping the clutch and it doesn't chatter. Only when I take off from a stop.
So, it's not the friction material. When you take off at a higher rpm, does it get better or worse?

thedodgeman69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by thedodgeman69 »

Hi rpm makes it shudder. If I lug it, it takes off ok.

Ryno
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Ryno »

thedodgeman69 wrote:Hi rpm makes it shudder. If I lug it, it takes off ok.
Did you resurface the flywheel, before you installed the new clutch?

dahooligan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: portville new york

Post by dahooligan »

Had this happen when I owned my 70 Superbee....found trouble to be a bad pilot bushing

Ryno
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Ryno »

Fish - How are you doing with this?

Steve