Help me pick!!!

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Enon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 46901
State: IN

Help me pick!!!

Post by Enon »

The machine shop got my 318 block done, after 5 months. It turns out the machinist does this part time, lesson learned. No I am starting to look into buying parts. I know nothing about this part, so I'll just ask. Which of these 2 will give me better performance, cause I have not idea!!!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-20-223-3/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4452992AE/

Or does someone have a better recommendation? This will be a "show" truck, but I want to be able to get into it too. Thanks!

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Re: Help me pick!!!

Post by mopardwh »

What other parts are you using? Any kind of hp goal?

:Thumbsup http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/cc ... ewall.html

OleRed66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: North
State: UT

Post by OleRed66 »

If you aren't track racing it, IMO you should look for a cam that is rated idle up.

However, there are good articles about how to build up a 318.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tech ... ewall.html

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by robertob »

You want a really small cam for a truck because it's so heavy. Probably the smallest Crane would be a good bet.

moparmorrell
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Missoula
State: MT

Post by moparmorrell »

Well it depends are you looking for high end horsepower, or low end torque, I suggest torque for a truck, so less lift in your can, but just my :2cents

Enon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 46901
State: IN

Post by Enon »

I like the articles posted about 500 hp. This truck will mostly be a weekend truck. It may haul some drywall, but that is it. I guess I am looking for hp. I want to be able to stomp it and make people sink in the seat when I'm done. Not sure what bore the machine shop had to take it to, so not sure about the striker kit yet. They had to take the taper out of they cylinders. I do know I will be switching it to a 4 barrel carb. Getting headers, and eventually taking the gearing somewhere around 393 to 4:10.

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

robertob wrote:You want a really small cam for a truck because it's so heavy. Probably the smallest Crane would be a good bet.
By comparing the weight of a D100 to a B-body Mopar, you'll find the trucks really are not that heavy!

SuperSweptline69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oakland
State: TN

Post by SuperSweptline69 »

I think running an edlebrcok performer with the matching cam and a 600 cdma carb would work well. But not knowing what kinda pistons and valve train your running its hard to tell. I have a 440 with that edlebrock performer and cam and it throws me back

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

I run a Comp Xtreme 4x4 cam in mine and am very pleased with it. Power right from idle although I can feel it come into the power band about 1500 RPM. However, mine is smaller than the one posted and I have 450 cubes not 318. The smaller cubes would not like my cam as well as my rig does. I don't think the Mopar cam would be good in a pickup. I think (I know) it's too big for that small # of cubes if you want good bottom end. It is much better to be smaller than too large. I struggled to keep from using the next larger cam but in the end the smaller one has really been the right decision. I am speaking from experience here from using a way too big cam years ago. I would talk to a couple cam makers and/or knowledgeable engine builders for their recommendations. MHO, you're never going to really sink people into the seat with only 318 cubes although built right it can do OK.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

RussRoth wrote: MHO, you're never going to really sink people into the seat with only 318 cubes although built right it can do OK.
LMAO :lol: :lol: .... Yeah.... Nobody has ever had to hold on for their life in any of
my 318 powered Sweptlines. Personally, I'd save the money and stick with
the 2bbl set up. The money saved can be directed toward a nice full dual
exhaust set up [with H or X pipe] that runs clear to the bumper. :2cents
John

SuperSweptline69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oakland
State: TN

Post by SuperSweptline69 »

That's why I love my 440. It throws the passengers back in the seat, need more than a lap belt though. If I was you I would go with what he said stick to a 2 barrel.

FredM
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by FredM »

mild RV type cam, some power, some fuel savings and less wear and tear on the engine