This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

JEEPS OR, How to spend a TON of money!

Post by Jims68 »

My daughter thinks she wants a Jeep, so I started to look into them and found that I really didn't know about them at all. The different types, such as (what I always considered a real JEEP) the CJ made until 1986, then you have the YJ made from 87-95 with a rectangle headlight, and rectangle parking light in the grille. OK, then you have the TJ which was made in 1997-2006... say where is the '96 model? Yeah, it seems they never made a 1996 Jeep. These have the Round headlight with a square parking light in the fenders. Then lastly we have the JK model which is the current model started in 2007 with BOTH the round headlight and round parking light placed back in the grille and looks like the older CJ Jeeps. OK... so now I can at least tell the difference in the models. BUT.... looking at the prices really has me falling over! I look at local Craigslist Jeeps and see that they are VERY PRICEY!! When I first started looking "For Fun" I was sticker shocked!! I put in a price range of $1500-$4500 and they are pretty much junk. Mileage is up there at 160,000 miles range, frames rusted away to nothing and rust on the body, but at least I figured on the body rust a little bit. Here I had thought that I would be able to find a used 1995-2000 Jeep with about 90,000 miles for around $1500-$2500 range... Not where I live!! OH brother was I WRONG! Well... am I OUT OF TOUCH? OR what?

Sorry... just "venting" about the cost of a "USED" Jeep.

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Re: JEEPS OR, How to spend a TON of money!

Post by kurt »

They are expensive. I sold a 1972 Jeep years ago that the body was in terrible shape the engine was on its last legs but looked OK from 20 feet and ran OK. I posted it for $4000 and got 50 calls in the first hour. The first guy rushed up and took it full price no questions asked. That means at 4K it was underpriced.
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

kurt wrote:They are expensive. I sold a 1972 Jeep years ago that the body was in terrible shape the engine was on its last legs but looked OK from 20 feet and ran OK. I posted it for $4000 and got 50 calls in the first hour. The first guy rushed up and took it full price no questions asked. That means at 4K it was underpriced.
GULP.... :pale Who knew? I didn't for sure! I guess I AM behind the times!

Jim
Jim

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Hey Jim, if the daughter wants a jeep, I hope she has a good job!... :lol:

avroadwarrior
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: AVAPPLE VALLEY
State: CA

Post by avroadwarrior »

Hi jim i have been building jeeps and off-road cars over 40 years. started very early but can't get enough.I have owned all the jeep made but jk. Thats the king rubicon and my next project. I assume you love your kid cj would be a bad idea very squarely vehicle especially with a new driver. Soft tops easy to get in to 4 cly very under powered. The yj is where you will get the best savings. Much more stable and better ride all around.When i bought my first tj i couldn't be leave how much time and money i wasted on old jeeps coil spring 4 link makes all difference on and off road best bang for the buck. Then the jk most of my friends have them $400000 its all most cheating they are the king.Yep jeeps hold their value. Hope this helps. i have a bit of jeep knowledge if i can help answer questions you have i will. Come out to Cali i just happen to have a couple tj Saharas for sale. Good Luck Brian :clap
Attachments
IMAG1201.jpg
Brian

EarlKann
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside

Post by EarlKann »

Jeeps can be pricey, way more demand than there is for old Dodge pickups.

I've mostly been into Toyota 4x4's for the last 10-years, but recently purchased my first Wrangler $18.5k

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

avroadwarrior wrote:I assume you love your kid cj would be a bad idea very squarely vehicle especially with a new driver.
Good point. When I first got my 1972 CJ I could barley keep it in my lane to get home. I changed to new modern tires and rebuilt the steering with a good Saginaw power box then it drove fine but if you screwed up at all you be up on two wheels. I always had to be careful with that thing. I wanted to get another one but with a little boy the safety stopped me so I got a crew cab sweptline.
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

EarlKann wrote:Jeeps can be pricey, way more demand than there is for old Dodge pickups.

I've mostly been into Toyota 4x4's for the last 10-years, but recently purchased my first Wrangler $18.5k
Hey.... aren't you that guy that was restoring those "OLD" Toyota Land Rovers? and you sent me some pics of them?? OR was that another guy that was into those older Toyotas?
avroadwarrior wrote:Hi jim i have been building jeeps and off-road cars over 40 years. started very early but can't get enough.I have owned all the jeep made but jk. Thats the king rubicon and my next project. I assume you love your kid cj would be a bad idea very squarely vehicle especially with a new driver. Soft tops easy to get in to 4 cly very under powered. The yj is where you will get the best savings. Much more stable and better ride all around.When i bought my first tj i couldn't be leave how much time and money i wasted on old jeeps coil spring 4 link makes all difference on and off road best bang for the buck. Then the jk most of my friends have them $400000 its all most cheating they are the king.Yep jeeps hold their value. Hope this helps. i have a bit of jeep knowledge if i can help answer questions you have i will. Come out to Cali i just happen to have a couple tj Saharas for sale. Good Luck Brian :clap
OK...so what you're saying is that a "JEEP" isn't a good starter vehicle EVEN IF it hasn't had a lift kit? OR did you mean just the CJ Jeeps? I didn't want one of those for her as I know that could throw off its stability. Also, I wanted one with regular tires and NOT big mudders (so to speak). Maybe I should just let her have my '68 Sweptline? NAH! :shame (besides, that has manual brakes, steering AND transmission. Perfect for a new driver! :lol:

Jim
Jim

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Get her something that u dont care about. Every man I know who has provided a vehicle for his daughter has seen it totalled within a year! :pale

avroadwarrior
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: AVAPPLE VALLEY

Post by avroadwarrior »

No not at all i love every jeep that have had but it depends on the driver. No lift and sensible tire will be a good start. cj has sum challenges cj 7 No v8 hard top roll bar put sway bars front and rear new driver maybe? Get some yj springs and axles under it all stock getting better? now new driver has modified cj ? cj 5 very tight . stock yj or tj i think is your best jeep still front and rear sway bars are a big help. I taught our son to drive in a 1944 gpw. So in the end if your happy.
I also agree with pwrwagdrvr odds are not good for first drivers first car. The 68 not my first choice but it would be cool. Better to be dead and cool then to be alive and uncool. Sorry Mickey Rourke Brian
Brian

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Jim, just have her take a drive in one and she might not want one anymore. My son had one in his body shop that he had painted, and asked me to deliver it to a used car lot that owned it. It was about ten miles away over good roads and before I had gone half the way I knew that I didn't ever want one. I think the short wheelbase makes it bounce a lot. Before that I thought one might be fun to own as a second vehicle but I changed my mind after that.
1969 Adventurer W100

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

All very good points!! As you know kids change their minds frequently!! So, I may secretly look into something else. She is a timid person so I don't think she would be the aggressive type on the road. More of a person you don't want to get behind. I may also send her to a driving school which helps with the insurance rates as well. PLUS, they are the ones that take kids to the DMV and get everything done and they use their cars that are the kind that the DMV likes. We have a Suburban and a Hyundai Accent... and I am not sure if either one could qualify for a DMV test. Well... I still have some time. She also had her 'thoughts' on a newer (style) VW Beetle. I am also (without her knowing) looking at the JEEP Liberty. They are cheaper than the Wranglers for sure!. Eh... just looking and thinking. :thinking

(nice to see you're still around Russ!!)

Jim
Jim

EarlKann
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside

Post by EarlKann »

Our daughters first car was a new beetle. The only one we could find in our price range was a turbo stick shift with high miles (160ish?). Do NOT do that! She burned up the clutch, very expensive to replace. Turbo was too much power for a teenager. The non-turbo/automatic would be better, but that car is still full of electronics that are impossible to diagnose and expensive to repair.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Get her an 88-98 C/K 1500. They made a couple million of those, they don't fold up or flip as easily as a "cute ute" or car, parts are cheap, a 92 or older will be down with "700R4 flu" fairly frequently (teaches you to drive nicely if you keep fragging 3rd and 4th gear)... Standard cab, short bed, too big to get hurt in it, small enough to fit in a standard parking spot. Or buy her a Ranger with a 2.3 and a 5 spd, absolutely zero collector interest so prices are still decent.

I bought and brought home a 92 K1500 extended cab short wide earlier this week. Needed a "who cares, it's a Chevy" winter truck, and time to get it prepped. For $300, a running driving 4x4 with a 350/700R4/NP241 and very little body damage, I can suffer through adding Chevy #3 to the fleet.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

Give her the suburban- big, safe, and poor enough mileage to deter un-necessary cruising with her friends :joker :lol:
'66 Cummins W250 5 spd crew cab long bed
'67 W200 Cummins, never-ending project
'74 Ramcharger Cummins 5 speed
'02 24v quad cab 6 speed dually 4x4

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

powerwagoncrazy wrote:Give her the suburban- big, safe, and poor enough mileage to deter un-necessary cruising with her friends :joker :lol:
You got that right!! :lol: I always feel safer in that Suburban than the Hyundai FOR SURE! Gas mileage? Well... that is about 14 around town and I can get about 17.5 on a LONG cruise. It isn't so great, but the safety factor is NICE. I just think of it as "insurance".
Jim

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Jim, I still drop in once in a while to see what you guys are doing. I still drive my old Dodge occasionally when I go visit my Bro in law. It still looks and drives great and gets compliments every time it's out.

This thread caught my eye because I have had the pleasure over the past year to teach my grand daughter to drive. We went driving at least once a week and it was a great bonding time. We mostly used my wife's PT Cruiser but occasionally used my 2002 Suburban just to let her get the feel of a bigger car. Last month I had the additional pleasure of taking her to the DMV to take her driving test and get her license. She wanted to use the PT for her test since she was familiar with it. She did fine. I'll be buying my wife a Cadillac SRX SUV soon so we have decided to give her the PT. It has front and side airbags so I feel it is a safe car for a sixteen year old girl.
1969 Adventurer W100

chopped66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: holts summit
State: MO

Post by chopped66 »

even here in mid Missouri jeeps are really expensive..maybe get her a ramcharger ?? keep the mopar line goin lol..1 other thing..i think jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket :lol:

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

chopped66 wrote:even here in mid Missouri jeeps are really expensive..maybe get her a ramcharger ?? keep the mopar line goin lol..1 other thing..i think jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket :lol:
I had thought about a Ramcharger... but since I already had one, I know what that gas mileage was. YEOW! that hurt!!!

I DO like your description of what JEEP stands for! :lol:

Russ, that is nice of you to give her your PT Cruiser too!

By the way... we've expanded our search now to Jeep Liberty. They are a LOT cheaper too. I still have some time though before she absolutely needs her own vehicle.

Jim
Jim

facechicken
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Baileyville
State: KS

Post by facechicken »

Yeah all the Jeeps are expensive here in Northeast Kansas as well.....gotta a guy selling a 2010 Wrangler Rubicon, Salvage title, like 30,000 on it and he has it for $20k plus if i remember right.

Keep in mind, everyone wants a jeep wrangler.....til they own one and have to drive it everyday.....wind and rain leaks, steering sucks, crap fuel mileage, road noise.....then they bring them to my shop and ask me to fix it all....to which i reply "cant, thats what jeeps do" :lol: