This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Antone
State: TX

Thinking of a 76 Dart Daily Driver.

Post by Outlaw »

My current car hasn't been doing so great and it seems like every week i'm putting money in it and working on it instead of my Sweptline. Not to mention, i'm just waiting for it to leave me stranded on the interstate...again... So i've decided to sell it and was planning on buying a 2012/2013 for reliability. Well...i found a very clean stock 76 Dart on Craigslist for a very reasonable price. I'm thinking about talking the wifey into letting me get this and use it as a daily driver instead of a brand new car. I know alot of people say they have daily driver classics but i'm talking legit, every morning to/from work, groceries, etc. daily driver.

I was just curious what everyone's thoughts are on having a classic like this as a legit daily driver.

MrMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lompoc
State: CA

Re: Thinking of a 76 Dart Daily Driver.

Post by MrMopar »

My 1970 Sweptline is my "new" vehicle!
I have 3 vehicles on the road, the 70 Sweptline, a 69 Polara and a 67 Barracuda.

Not to long ago I had a 99 Sebring Convertible that was sucking me dry as my Barracuda sat in my garage in pieces. So I found a 67 Valiant (now sold), sold the Chrysler and within a few years I was well in to getting my Barracuda restored and back on the road. Once it was done it was on to my next project a CHP car, didn't have one and a clone was a quick (cheap) way to go so I aquired a 69 Polara and little over a year later I located a genuine retired CHP car (not cheap) that needed restoration. Not to mention that in the middle of all this I took a two week vacation in Europe.

Your results may vary but I say dump the new car! On any trip when the old car isn't the subject (like taking it to a car show) I just rent a car.

Being married I'd make sure the car you get is in pretty good shape. I thought that having a new car would offset the expense of keeping an old car on the road, I was wrong. Even if you factor in lower gas milage I spend far less per year on my old cars (together) than I was spending on my new car.

Alan

EGroscup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Escondido
State: CA

Post by EGroscup »

I say go for it. My daily drivers have always been old and/or free. 60 Studebaker Lark 8 $350 that never required anything more than maint. for normal wear. 74 Opel manta free, same thing. It even looked great after a pass with rubbing compound. 81 Peugeot 505 turbodiesel $500, this one was a challenge for parts, but was the most comfortable car ever. Couple of shaved head gangster types ran a red and took it out. 67 Rambler American $1000 super strong inline 6 in a light body, wish I had it back. The current one is a stock 77 vega wagon, it has cost a bit more than the rest to keep alive, but that was mostly due to a bad machine shop. Overall it has cost me far less to purchase, maintain, register and insure old cars as a daily driver. Spend a little time on making sure the Dart is reliable and enjoy it.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

My 69 was my near daily driver from 2004-2007. On nice days I'd ride my motorcycle, not so nice days I'd take the truck. And that was in the Seattle area. Now the truck is retired to the project list, I'm not driving a classic anything (well, anything smaller than a Sherman tank, but I'd prefer a Panzer) in Memphis area traffic. Traffic here makes L.A. look sane.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

How many miles are you driving a week? whats the engine/trans/rear combo?

Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Outlaw »

wally426ci wrote:How many miles are you driving a week? whats the engine/trans/rear combo?
I drive about 50 miles per day for to and from work. That's about 15mins hwy (70mph) & 15 mins. City (red light to red light). So weekly would be about 250-300 weekly. The engine is a stock /6 & not sure about the tranny/rear end or how many miles are on the car.

As far as new car, I'm looking at the 2012/2013 4door jeep wrangler.

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Hey Hey Hey

You did not say if the 76 Dart has A/C. If not aquire an Silicone
Engine Fan Drive that was used on A/C Slant Six's ( this is the
shortest one made for either an GM or MoPar Product ) . From the
local pick & pull for under $10 get any 1980'ish Engine Cooling Fan
from any rear wheeled GM or MoPar Product. Then put this package
on your 1976 Slant Six

This is now an better power to ratio change that also is good for
all the Slant Six Trucks too. Because of the MPG improvement this
change will "pay for its self" by The First Snow Fall or The New Year
if you only use the vehicle some times.

*************************************************************************************
When The Exhaust System gets to the re-placement phase part of its life
have the local shop make your Exhaust System to the same Exhaust
System in-side Pipe Diameter and etc as The Super Six's.

This part too is an item that any Dodge Truck with an Slant Six can do
for an better-ment.

Your 1976 Slant Six Dart has the enhanced 904 Torque-flight which is
properly called The 998.

Rodger & Gabby
FltSgt@msn.com
COS

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

They make excellent daily drivers. I had a rusty 73 for about a year, then found a rust free 72 that had a blown motor. When all was said and done, I had a 72 with PS/PB, larger 4 1/2" bolt pattern (with the later style rally wheels), front discs, and factory air. It was a Slant 6/904, and even with the one barrel, managed to get me 18 MPG combined. Had that for a good five years, then my brother had it a few. You will love it! :Thumbsup

Check the front floorboards for rust. (The seals on the wiper stems are prone to leak, causing puddling up front. NOT the front window seal, like most people assume.) If it's solid, you are good. Also, if you have a welder, or know someone who can weld well, once you get it home, do this; Jack up the front of the car and back off the torsion bar adjusters all the way. Locate where the bar anchors in the rear crossmember. There will appear to be a "washer" of sorts that's tack welded to the crossmember. Weld that suckah all the way around. Then re-tighten your adjusters. I had one side break the spot welds in a pothole. It's like you instantly remove the spring. NOT FUN!!! After I made that repair, I heard of a few hardcore A body guys that make that one of the initial repairs they make, before driving one very far.

The best upgrade I made was the poly suspension bushings. Get the greaseable type though. The squeaking drove me nuts! Even though mine was without a sway bar, it handled like it had one, just with the poly bushings. Comfortable and quiet. Great little cars! Even Iacocca said that if Dodge had kept building the Dart with the Slat 6, they might not have needed that first bailout. You know, the one that brought us the K car? :thinking :puke

Anyway, keep us posted! We want to see this Dart once you get it! :Thumbsup

Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Outlaw »

Just an update.

The Dart sold before I had a chance to grab it. It was an extremely good deal so I wasn't suprised. Now I have my eye on a 62 Fairlane... its not a Mopar but the car is in great condition... i'll let ya'll know what heppens. Either way, i've decided to pass on the jeep and go with a solid running classic.

Dood
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Shoreline
State: WA

Post by Dood »

You made me start looking for one too...Don't tell my wife! :lol:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/3196140815.html

67fury383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Battle Ground

Post by 67fury383 »

Outlaw wrote:Just an update.

The Dart sold before I had a chance to grab it. It was an extremely good deal so I wasn't suprised. Now I have my eye on a 62 Fairlane... its not a Mopar but the car is in great condition... i'll let ya'll know what heppens. Either way, i've decided to pass on the jeep and go with a solid running classic.
So did ya find a Dart yet? Fairlane? If I didn't have such a long commute I would pick a dart or a Volare or something along those lines. But I think The best they get is in the low 20s for mpg. I did have a volare wagon with the slant six and 4 spd several years ago, and it got over 25mpg. It was a great car. My daily driver 88 Corolla gets 32-41 mpg. As much as I love older Mopars I can't justify getting rid of it. Plus it's been super reliable too.

Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Outlaw »

i'm ashamed to say this but i lost the fight with my wife... :lol:

I found a clean, solid running 4 door Fairlane. I loved it! stock interior/exterior with custom pinstripping and a rebuilt engine with paper work to prove it. Ran like a top. My wife hated it! We have our first kid on the way (its about to pop out in the next couple of weeks) and she wanted me to get a car ASAP and she was pretty adamant about it being new with a warranty. Not to mention she threw my truck/bike in my face saying how i already have 2 toys and etc. So.... i ended up getting a new 4 door jeep wrangler. Now all i want to do is throw some big muddin tires on it and go play but kinda hard to justify spending the cash on that when i need it for my truck rebuild.

67fury383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Battle Ground

Post by 67fury383 »

I hear ya. Sounds cool, but I bet drivin the old classic would have been much cheaper and would have left you a little spare money for your other projects! But we gotta make the boss ladies happy first don't we? :lol: