Work? Where do you guys work at?

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
marine43
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: glenshaw P.a.

Re: Work? Where do you guys work at?

Post by marine43 »

Soliddrummer wrote:I am a tattoo artist in Southern California. Ive been tattooing for about 5 years now, and did graphic design for the clothing industry for 10 years before that. I still do some graphic stuff on the side, but most of my living is made hurting people with needles...

Im also in a couple bands, rock and roll baby!! Trying my best to stay young, Im about to turn 30 and freaking out a little...
Hey , 30 ain't nothin! haha I'm 47 still gettin "inked" and listening to great bands, my daughter and i both love Avenged Sevenfold haha Course i used to have really long hair but that started to fall out around 32! No worries, like most of the guys here will tell you, age is just a number! just keep rockin. :salut
68 w200 sweptline ,72 ironhead chopper , 86 Jeep grand wagoneer . no school like old school semper fi !

motomatt383
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Durham, NC
State: NC

Post by motomatt383 »

I've been in several different career paths, but usually I'm somewhere in the motor/powersports industry. Currently running a small used tire & repair shop, Big Boyz Auto & Tire. but I've been a Snap On Tools dealer, dabbled in Home repair as a GC, went to school for automotive machine shop. worked in that field for a number of yrs. even managed a pizza shop for a while. LOL

matt
'70 D-100, Ruffin,plum crazy/wht top,5.2 magnum.
'70 Roadrunner
'40 Dodge coupe
http://community.webshots.com/user/motomatt383
http://www.myspace.com/70runner

Daddiojoe
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Daddiojoe »

Soliddrummer--

Let's see a link to your brag book. I've got a full back piece and a Chris Trevino tiger from waist to knee on my left leg, among other places. The most exotic place I've ever been tatooed! Quito, Ecuador.
1971 4-eyed Shortbed D100 225 /6 727 AT 3.23 rear running on Sweet Lady Propane

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Firestone
State: CO

Post by fosh69 »

Umm, well... I used to be an Avionics Tech on fighter jets in the USAF. After about ten years of that I decided to be a civilian and ended up doing instrumentation work at a major biotech company. It will do for now. I actually thought about becoming a Auto Service Tech, but soon realized I didn't want to wrench on other people's wrecks... just my own.
4eye 69

OO\===/OO

MikeMc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MikeMc »

I've been working on drilling rigs for most my life and now have a small oilfield business. We run casing and gravel pack liners on the drilling rigs. Attached is a picture my gravel pack machine pumping gravel down hole and a picture of a brand new power tong. I bought the big blue power tong during the oil boom a few years ago and it cost $45,000 with a 30 day waiting list. Crazy how much equipment cost when in demand :moom . Would like to buy another tong while prices are down but ain't got no money! Bet there's is no waiting list either.
Attachments
rig 027.jpg
back up1.jpg

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

I am a firefighter here in tucson. Love going to work, everyday is different :Thumbsup
Attachments
gas leak.jpg
pics 004.jpg
new years fire31.jpg
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

hemihydro135
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: tucsonaz

Post by hemihydro135 »

I’m also in the drilling business. Mineral exploration. Right now I’m workin in a copper mine just out side of Tucson. Here is a couple of pictures of some of the rigs I have been running…
Attachments
DSC00487.JPG
reverse_circ_drilling1.jpg
PICT0377.JPG
PICT0377.JPG (64.19 KiB) Viewed 887 times
PICT0376.JPG
PICT0376.JPG (54.17 KiB) Viewed 887 times
PICT0375.JPG
PICT0375.JPG (53.21 KiB) Viewed 887 times
1968 SWB
1964 Crew Cab Power Wagon
1972 Plymouth Satellite

Triplett
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Logan
State: UT

Post by Triplett »

I started out in life as an over the road truck driver got bored so my wife & I started a trucking co. & after several years was plenty bored again. Now I am a transprtation broker, I'm the guy that sets up the loads for trucking co.'s to haul, it's all desk & phone work. All of this ahs managed to take the last 19 years of my like.

MikeMc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MikeMc »

HemiHydro, you ever see anything like this before? They wanted to drill a 500' oil well and D.O.G. requires a blow out preventor. In oreder to clear the 4' BOP they put the rig on a trailer to raise it.

My tongs are rigged up behind the worker.
Attachments
Water well rig.jpg

MikeMc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MikeMc »

PS. I like the way you keep the kelly hose from getting kinked. M-

PeacefulChaos
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rockaway Beach
State: MO

Post by PeacefulChaos »

slick wrote:I am a firefighter here in tucson. Love going to work, everyday is different :Thumbsup
That's pretty freaking cool. Those pictures... Are horribly amazing... >.> Horrible that the place burned, but amazing in that the fire looks absolutely beautiful... Can we have some dark humor here? <.< I feel bad about the homes... But I'm a pyro myself... I'm the one who lights candles and stares at them for hours, trying to make the flames do different things...
1964 D200 225 /6 manual 4 speed granny gear My very first car.
1979 Ford F-250 Ranger 460 V8 automatic Daily Driver (KC)
2002 Ford E-150 Triton V8 automatic Family Car/Daily Driver (KC)
2006 Chevy HHR V6 automatic Family Car/Daily Driver (RB)
1991 Lincoln Towncar V6 automaticFamily Car/Daily Driver (RB)
1991 Ford F-250 automaticHaven't been under the hood, and needs a lot of work! Work truck (RB)

~Life is a journey, and there is never a road too rough, a place too far, or a sight unseen. Just take the time to enjoy it as it comes.~

powertothepdub
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by powertothepdub »

Well,i had been a tech at a dodge dealer for eight years.A chrysler,jeep,dodge dealer for 10 years before that,back when eagle and plymouth were still around.-In 2009 the dodge dealer i was at got the ax from chrysler so i spent a year at a cjd dealer that didnt get the ax but should have-wasnt the right place for me.For the past 6 months i have worked at another dealer that got cut but stayed open as an independent used car dealer-mostly chrysler products.The great thing about were i work now is they also own a cjd dealer about 30 miles away so i still can get the technical info i need and mopar parts without the middleman markup.Im flat rate and so far there is plenty of work still 90% mopars

john
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Tyler
State: TX

Post by john »

Name here is John, Tyler, Tx. My daily driver is International ProStar. I drive 18 wheels (48 states) for Shaffer Trucking. My home driver is 1967 D200 Camper Special 383/727auto/4.10AS. I've been over the road (otr) trucker for 11 years this month.

MikeMc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MikeMc »

Capt. Chaos, good thread you started, sure a wide variety of shade tree mechanics out there willing to give free advice :Thumbsup

I guess HemiHydro isn't fallowing this thread anymore?????

Slick, my father-in-law was a long term fire fighter and now 71, he's having all kinds of lung and breathing problems from smoke inhalation over the decades and he doesn't smoke cigarettes. So please be careful so you don't have to go through the same suffering he's going through when you retire.

1965w200crew
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: kearns
State: UT

Post by 1965w200crew »

I work construction installing acoustic ceilings, basically, I build squares for a living. been at it 13 years now.
early '65 d100 318 poly/435
early '65 w200 crewcab 318la/435
'87 silverado v20

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Yah Mike alot of the "old timers" suffer from the same problems as your father in law. Alot has changed in the fire industry. Those guys were real "smoke eaters". They didn't have the luxury of all the safety equipment we have today. With all of the breathing apparatus and strict guidelines as to when we have to use them it makes a huge difference. One of the biggest problems we have is the diesel exhaust gas in the bays. I personally love it, but I know it's not good for me :Thumbsup
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

hemihydro135
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: tucsonaz

Post by hemihydro135 »

MikeMc wrote:HemiHydro, you ever see anything like this before? They wanted to drill a 500' oil well and D.O.G. requires a blow out preventor. In oreder to clear the 4' BOP they put the rig on a trailer to raise it.

My tongs are rigged up behind the worker.
:lol: I've seen rigs up on trailers befor, but never while running. Would OSHA be cool with that :thinking
1968 SWB
1964 Crew Cab Power Wagon
1972 Plymouth Satellite

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

slick wrote:Yah Mike alot of the "old timers" suffer from the same problems as your father in law. Alot has changed in the fire industry. Those guys were real "smoke eaters". They didn't have the luxury of all the safety equipment we have today. With all of the breathing apparatus and strict guidelines as to when we have to use them it makes a huge difference. One of the biggest problems we have is the diesel exhaust gas in the bays. I personally love it, but I know it's not good for me :Thumbsup
Fortunately by the time I got hired SCBA's were in full use. A lot of the older guys would pull them off right away and I will admit to probably sucking some stuff down I shouldn't have. :shame :shame I would get a headache after every working fire unless I was the pump operator which I was for a few years. Then the positive pressure SCBA came into vogue and never a problem after that.

Then I got "promoted" to a truck man. I spent most of my career on the roof. Got into more smoke there sometimes than being an inside man. Especially if we had trouble getting a vent hole. Later we had positive pressure fans so did not make nearly so many vent holes. :Thumbsup :Thumbsup

By the time I retired all of our bays had an overhead suction system for the exhaust. I thought that was an OSHA requirement but maybe not. :thinking
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

PeacefulChaos
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rockaway Beach
State: MO

Post by PeacefulChaos »

MikeMc wrote:Capt. Chaos, good thread you started, sure a wide variety of shade tree mechanics out there willing to give free advice :Thumbsup

I guess HemiHydro isn't fallowing this thread anymore?????

Slick, my father-in-law was a long term fire fighter and now 71, he's having all kinds of lung and breathing problems from smoke inhalation over the decades and he doesn't smoke cigarettes. So please be careful so you don't have to go through the same suffering he's going through when you retire.
Thanks :lol: I was trying to take a survey to see how many of these people are actually mechanics. I guess this is more of a hobby, than a career for most. But in the end, I think I'd like this to be a career. I'm planning on going to tradeschool for auto body and detailing... Maybe a few classes for mechanics so I can work on them my damn self, and not have to worry about when my dad or cousin or uncle will be available.
1964 D200 225 /6 manual 4 speed granny gear My very first car.
1979 Ford F-250 Ranger 460 V8 automatic Daily Driver (KC)
2002 Ford E-150 Triton V8 automatic Family Car/Daily Driver (KC)
2006 Chevy HHR V6 automatic Family Car/Daily Driver (RB)
1991 Lincoln Towncar V6 automaticFamily Car/Daily Driver (RB)
1991 Ford F-250 automaticHaven't been under the hood, and needs a lot of work! Work truck (RB)

~Life is a journey, and there is never a road too rough, a place too far, or a sight unseen. Just take the time to enjoy it as it comes.~

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

I've worked for Mercedes Benz for thirteen and a half yrs. I work in the Quality dept., more specifically, the body/paint Audit group. In that group , we take one bare body for each model, every quarter, and cut it up. Yep, bust apart every one of more than 5000 spotwelds ! It's great for anger management ! LOL. We also pull a random car everyday, and do a series of evaluations on their condition before they're sent to the next shop. ( body to paint / paint to assembly ). I practically grew up in an upholstery shop, and being a gear head, I naturally got into doing car interiors. I had a custom interior shop for 5 yrs before going to Mercedes. When the recession hit, and were were cut back to 27 hrs a week, I got back into doing custom interiors on the side to make ends meet. I also am involved with another company called AutoAppraise ( look em up ). They inspect and evaluate cars for potential buyers all over the world. They have over 200 inspectors, and in Alabama, I'm they're guy. I only get a few inspections a yr, but it's very interesting, and I get to meet some other car guys and drive some awesome vehicles.
I can't post pics from mercedes, but I'll try to post one one of the cars I did the interior on.
kennys 55 at pft.jpg
Attachments
1r view.jpg
kennys 55 at show.jpg
M.O.P.A.R. =
My Own Private Adrenaline Rush !